salts   salts

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 17th 2024 - 17:34

Thread #453

Portrait for firstmate

by: firstmate
March 22nd, 2019
tracking down an old Grand Banker
The Grand Banks schooner Oretha F. Spinney, bought for the Spencer Tracy Film Captains Courageous, re-named We're Here.
After they were done using the Weīre Here, she was tied up in Los Angeles Harbor, where she fell into disrepair.  She was re-discovered in August 1941 by actor Sterling Hayden, who in the middle of the film, Bahama Passage, had coerced the head of Paramount Films, Y. Frank Freeman, into buying her from MGM for Sterling. However by November Hayden, had decided to quit films entirely and become a British Commando. At which point he took a ship to Scotland to train, literally abandoning the schooner where she was, then came the war!!!  I cannot find any further information on her , Can anyone out there toss me some leads???
Thanks, Dave
New info:  It appears she was purchased from MGM by Paramount  and/or Sterling Hayden and sailed down through the Panama Canal to Miami.  Hayden may have taken a commercial voyage in her to Caraco either before, or right after, hearing the US Navy wanted to requisition her for the war effort.  The result Hayden was so upset that he apparently "stripped her of all her equipment" whether or not this included the diesel engine or not I don' t know. At this point it is said that "His agents(?)"  bought her from Hayden, whereupon Hayden immediately went to NYC and his wife, Madeleine Carroll, who may have initially supplied the money for Hayden to purchaser O.F.S. from MGM  or Paramount. The day after his arrival in NYC , Hayden went down and enlisted!. All this is still unproven, but is the best to date! Still trying to track down government records (USCG, NAVY, Official registration records,  Port of Los Angeles, and such, no luck thus far)

Uploaded Image

Discussion:
Portrait for firstmate

by: firstmate
March 22nd, 2019
steveo has no photo

by: steveo
October 31st, 2019
I have a letter written to my father, from Sterling Hayden, concerning the Orethea F Spinney. (10/01/63)

"I wrangled her free of the MGM*Paramount axis, took her to Nassau, sold her engine room intact for ten thousand dollars, then hauled some freight in the islands. . .but she was tired and a bit loose and so I sold her to my agents in Curacao -- who were distressed to find that on her first voyage under their auspices she had to be hauled in Kingston where repairs cost better then a thousand pounds.  What has become of her I don't know"

Greater detail might be in Mr. Hayden's book the "Wanderer" which was published later that month.

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyQuestions RSS feed for: Questions
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

tall ships
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate