tall ships   salts

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 23rd 2024 - 15:14

Thread #252

Portrait for kpbosun

by: kpbosun
August 2nd, 2006
How knot to get caught
I have not posted for a while, this is a busy time of year, but I thought that this might be of enough interest to post.
I will put up the image of a knot that I learned many years ago, and then an explanation and another image as a reply. You may feel that you know the knot.
Remember the old saw that perception often replaces reality until it is proven wrong.
Uploaded Image

Discussion:
Portrait for kpbosun

by: kpbosun
August 2nd, 2006
How knot to get caught
With all the warning that I gave, you probably took a good look at the picture and saw that it was a fools knot. This picture shows that the ends and standing parts are on opposite sides. This will cause the knot to capsize and slip instead of holding. I have been told that a few bets have been won concerning slipping square knots with this one.
It is layed up like a single sheet bend without the pass under step.
It is a very simple knot but you can have a little fun with it. The slippage is more pronounced if you use a slippery line like nylon, dacron, or one of the poly- types. Natural fibers may jam in spite of the poor structure of the knot.
Have fun.
Uploaded Image

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlySuggestions RSS feed for: Suggestions
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

sailing
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate
web design, virtual tours and maintenance donated: PawPrint.net