sailing   sailing

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 15th 2024 - 23:52

Thread #229

Portrait for kpbosun

by: kpbosun
March 21st, 2006
3D Navigation Light Models
In the training realm again... I´ve started playing with 3D rendering software to try and create ultra realistic night navigation lights models for training... I finally have something worth of sharing...

The models are fairly easy to adjust and I can position the camera anywhere (even above to train for aircraft sighting) The idea is to create 3D interactive objects that the viewer can control to view the different light configurations from any angle. This all relates to CCGA and personal seamanship training - but I hope to have a few working examples up onm this site soon - this is just a preview... but gives you some idea of where things are going next.
Uploaded Image

Discussion:
Portrait for kpbosun

by: kpbosun
March 21st, 2006
Comments about 3D Navigation Light Models
When you put up a light configuration black box, how about putting a simulated radar plot below it on the screen to show simulated position and course relative to the observer? It could easily be included as a combined computer graphic.
Another thought, have a īclickableī image that switches from a dark, lights only image, to an image of the viewed vessel īghostedī behind the lights at the proper perspective.
These would take any guessing out of the īobserversī mind and īfixī the mental image.
Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
March 22nd, 2006
3D Navigation Light Models
These are all great ideas. Changing light level is fairly easy since itīs a 3D model.

It took a while to get the lights looking "right" so now that Iīve crossed that hurdle - I can start playing with the presentation.
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyStories RSS feed for: Stories
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

wooden boats
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate
web design, virtual tours and maintenance donated: PawPrint.net