sailing   salts

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 18th 2024 - 09:26

Thread #171

Portrait for kpbosun

by: kpbosun
July 24th, 2005
Those old color slides you never look at, (but might like to).
Like a lot of people, I took a lot of pictures on my trips to sea. Most of them were in 35mm slide format. They give great quality, but are not the most convenient things to browse through.
I have been having a nostalgia run of late though. I finally figured out a way to get decent results converting my old seagoing slides to digital format. (I had bought a scanner a year ago, but it turned out garbage.) Now I have a $10 plastic garage light with a milk white globe that I turned upside down on a board. I put a 25 watt bulb into it and made a small frame to hold a slide against it. I put my 5 meg camera on a tripod, set it for super close-up and manual focus. About twenty seconds of fiddling later I click the shutter. I am getting better at it and am down to doing re-takes on only two out of five.
This project gives me an excuse to look at a lot of ´ship stuff´. When I get a few of them together into a folder that might interest this group, I will post it here.

Discussion:
Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
July 24th, 2005
Cool - as a professional photographer - your method sounds intriguing (can you take a photo of the apparatus?)

also - if you have any good photos to share, I´m sure we´d love to see them in the gallery - let me know and I can create an album for you.
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker
Portrait for kpbosun

August 7th, 2005
An additional note, I use a halogen bulb in the fixture to get better white balance. It gives the light of a regular 60 watt bulb. It is the type that looks like it started as a tube bulb and then the middle swelled up.
KP Bosun
Uploaded Image
Portrait for kpbosun

August 7th, 2005
here is an example of one that I did with the rig. This one has not been re-touched.
We were carrying a herd of cattle from Saint John, N.B. to Brazil. They did quite well. Two or three ´freshened´ so we had fresh milk and calves to deal with too. Yes, we did have a ´cowboy´ signed on for that trip.
Uploaded Image
Portrait for kpbosun

August 12th, 2005
I finally got a couple of minutes to crop and do a quick edit on the cows. It looks good on the monitor, hope that it is the same here.
KPBosun
Uploaded Image
Portrait for kpbosun

December 19th, 2005
I found that I was getting too cool a color balance with the original set-up. I first increased the wattage to 100 and used that for a while. The plastic globe still seemed to be giving a bit of a color cast however. I bit the bullet and went to a large local hardware store and bought a glass, frosted, tapered shade for some sort of old fashioned light fixture. It cost $7.00 US (plus tax of course). This combination works considerably better and saves me time with the Elements 3  software. I also added a wooden shroud around the slide holder to cut the glare.
Uploaded Image
Portrait for kpbosun

December 19th, 2005
Here is the new shade
Uploaded Image
Portrait for kpbosun

December 19th, 2005
and the glare shroud
I hope some of you have been able to use some of this stuff
Uploaded Image

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosun´s Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosun´s Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlySuggestions RSS feed for: Suggestions
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

sailing
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate