sailing   salts

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 20th 2024 - 02:52

Thread #145

Portrait for kpbosun

by: kpbosun
August 7th, 2006
velvet hammer
Sometimes you are done a favor when you donīt expect it. Sometimes by someone who you would least expect.
I was still sailing as a Cadet when this happened. The ship was the īAfrican Patriotī, a WWII C-2 operated by the United States Lines out of NY. We were outward bound sometime in early winter.
I was in my bunk when someone shook me awake. I nearly brained myself getting up when I saw that it was the Captain. He told me to get dressed and go down to one of the crew quarters rooms, then left.
I arrived about four or five minutes later and he was standing out side the door. A couple others were around. The room was dark except for the light from the passageway. He pointed to door and said, "Go in and talk to īJohnī."
I had no idea what was up, but went into the room. As I recall there were four bunks, but only one was occupied.
"Hey, Cadet, whatīs up?" came from that one. Still trying to figure out what was going on, I started to make small talk. It went back and forth a couple times, when īJohnī said,"Hey,There it is again."
"Thereīs what?" I asked.
"Canīt you hear it? There it is again."
I had honestly heard nothing, but what with all the ship noises, maybe I was missing something. I told īJohnī so.
"You canīt hear that scratching from the other side of the bulkhead?" He asked, and pointed to a spot right behind his bunk. Being a believing soul, I leaned close in toward the bunk, but could still hear nothing. I could see the Captain standing outside taking it all in.
"I still canīt hear it. What is it supposed to be?" I asked īJohnī.
"Spiders." He said, "Spiders at least a foot across." "They have been trying to get me." "Donīt worry though, as long as I have this steel bulkhead Iīll be OK."
The fact that the doors to both rooms, and the passageway were wide open did not seem to register with him.
"They tried before. I think that I saw them a couple times too." "I donīt know how they got on the ship."
Thinking I could defuse the situation, I told him I would look in the next room and see if I could "Take care" of things for him.
I went out past the Captain, gave him a puzzled look, thumped around in the next room, and came back.
I told īJohnī that there was nothing in the next room now.
"Yes there is." He said, "You just canīt see them. I could see them if I went in, but then they might get me." "Canīt you hear the scratching?" I told him that they must not be loud enough for me to hear.
"Well, thatīs OK. It doesnīt really matter. As long as the bulkhead is here they can scratch all night. They canīt get through."
Stuff like this went on for several minutes more. īJohnī seemed perfectly lucid. If the subject matter were different, it would have been just a "chat". Strangely, I didnīt feel that it was a "put-on".
Finally, I made some excuse and left the room. Out side, I went over to the Captain, and asked him what was going on. He, in turn, asked me if I had any idea what I had just seen. I said that I thought that there was something wrong with īJohnī but that I didnīt know what. Was he "nuts"?
I was told that, in a way, he was "nuts", but that it had taken him a long time and a lot of money to get that way. "He is having an attack of the DTs." "He may have been a boozer for years, like a lot of these guys." "He probably sobered up enough to īmakeī the ship at sailing, and now is in withdrawal." "Take a good look, and remember what you see." "This is an occupational hazard for ALL sailors, and youīre seeing it when your just starting out."
He sent me back to quarters so I could get a little sleep, or maybe to think about īJohnī for a while.
The Captain was never "chummy" or "social" with me while I was on the ship. He was very professional. I donīt remember whether we shipped īJohnī home from the next port or if he came around and rode out the voyage. I do know that the Captain cared enough about his crew to take the time to show a young Cadet something that he thought he might need to see.
Did the Captain have a good point to make?
Considering who he was aiming at, and the special opportunity that was provide to him.
Yes, and I can add to the thread. (without glurge)
50% (1)
Yes, you were lucky.
50% (1)
Maybe; There are plenty of drunks to see at sea.
Maybe not. That was a very unusual situation.
Login to vote
You must be logged in to vote in this poll.

Discussion:
jelli has no photo

by: jelli
October 17th, 2005
velvet hammer
I think he had a good point to make. Interesting story kpbosun. Thanks for sharing.

Jelli

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyStories RSS feed for: Stories
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

tall ships
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate