wooden boats   salts

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 18th 2024 - 10:15

Thread #373

shipmate66 has no photo

by: shipmate66
January 27th, 2012
wooden stuffing box
 Hello , I have a wooden stuffing box that I would like some infomation on ....
It was said to have been made for a tall ship from around 1880īs? never been used ! It is stamped with īFord bush and stuffing boxī  Any info would be greatly appreciated :) I cant find anything on the web .
                                                                          Cam
Uploaded Image

Discussion:
Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
January 27th, 2012
wooden stuffing box
Very cool - I donīt have any info about it (although I will put out a feeler to someone that might) - but itīs a great looking photo.

Funny thing is - I just updated the forum on this site about 30 seconds before your post - talk about timing!
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker
shipmate66 has no photo

January 27th, 2012
wooden stuffing box
Thanks for that ! I picked it up in an antique store in Hobart ,Tasmania 20yrs ago :)
Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
January 29th, 2012
wooden stuffing box
My contact replied back - here is what he had to say:

About the stuffing box, I doubt very much that is was designed for a "tall ship" from the 1880īs.  Ships of that period werenīt fitted with stuffing boxes as far as I know.  I suspect it is from a later period and probably made of lignum vitae. We had a similar device installed in the schooner, Hedda Gabler in Miami in 1972.  The shipwright was a Cuban gentleman who waxed eloquent about the longevity and friction-resistant qualities of lignum vitae.

Granted thatīs probably a bit disappointing to hear.
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker
shipmate66 has no photo

January 30th, 2012
wooden stuffing box
 Thanks ..... My mail was from a retired wooden boat builder whoīs boss had told him about them ..... he thought it would have been used for a steering shaft not a propeller shaft ? interesting though , if its from later years I should be able to bring up something on this World Wide Web .... Thanks again
                                                                                                      Cam
shipmate66 has no photo

January 30th, 2012
wooden stuffing box
 Thanks ..... My mail was from a retired wooden boat builder whoīs boss had told him about them ..... he thought it would have been used for a steering shaft not a propeller shaft ? interesting though , if its from later years I should be able to bring up something on this World Wide Web .... Thanks again
                                                                                                      Cam

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyQuestions RSS feed for: Questions
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

sailing
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate