sailing   salts

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 25th 2024 - 04:44

Thread #370

crimsonseal has no photo

by: crimsonseal
November 14th, 2011
Bitter end
 I was wondering if any of you have hear of a "bitter end award" and if so how it originated? I have been able to find many definations as to what a bitter end is, and most have been basically the same. But not able to find anything on this award or itīs orgins.
 From what I am being told, the award is given to a person retiring and they have come to the bitter end of their career, but according to my counter parts here there is a much more eleborate story associated with it. I canīt find any history of this award anywhere. Any help would be greatly apperciated.

Discussion:
Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
November 14th, 2011
Bitter end Award
Thatīs a new one for me - but I know a few "Old Salts" I might be able to ask.

Do you know anything more - ie: is there a country/region of origin to this? Modern maritime tradition or historic? Navy or Merchant Marine?
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker
crimsonseal has no photo

by: crimsonseal
November 15th, 2011
Bitter end
From what little I have been able to find, and itīs been very little, this orginated in the Scandinavian countries ie: Denmark, Norway, and Sweden in the Early 1500īs or so. If any of the Old Salts know it would be helpful. And Thanks.

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyQuestions RSS feed for: Questions
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

wooden boats
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate
web design, virtual tours and maintenance donated: PawPrint.net