salts   salts

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 26th 2024 - 03:50

Thread #156

Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
May 16th, 2005
Good Times at SARCOMP
I feel like I might be tooting my own horn here a bit - but this news is just too cool to sit on.

Each year the Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary - Pacific holds a search and rescue competition (SARCOMP) The 2005 SARCOMP was held in Richmond (Steveston) on 13 /14 May with great success.  The overall aim of this event was to: demonstrate SAR skills from the whole region, evaluate training levels throughout the region, provide some valuable training opportunities  (not normally available), allow the units to exchange training ideas and approaches, have fun, and lastly, select a Pacific Region Team that will represent the region at the International Search and Rescue Competition (ISAR) 2005. Two teams from the Sunshine Coast participated. From Unit 14 (Gibsons) Sidney Clare, Gord Cuplipp, and Marcel Van der Stelt. From Unit 12 (Halfmoon Bay) Bruce Arbo, Scott Baker, and Kellei Bulmer.

In total 24 members from across the Pacific Region consisting of 8 teams of three (one coxswain and two crew) participated in a combination of day and night on-the-water scenarios, knowledge exams, and also a timed marine search and rescue obstacle course.

Any regular readers of this site will know that I am a member of the CCGA Unit 12 Halfmoon Bay well...

The team from Unit 12 (Halfmoon Bay) won the marine search and rescue obstacle course event which consisted of various seamanship skills including heaving line toss, fire/de-watering pump, and donning and use of SAR and survival gear with a time of 10 mins. and 20 seconds.

At the conclusion of SARCOMP the top two coxswains and the top three crew members selected to represent BC at ISAR were announced during the awards dinner. Three of the five members of this years team hail from the Sunshine Coast. Sidney Clare (Unit 14) and Kellei Bulmer (Unit 12) took two of the crew positions and Scott Baker (Unit 12) was selected as the top coxswain and team leader. They will join other CCGA members from West Vancouver and Victoria to receive special training prior to ISAR in Halifax this October.

Wish us luck!
Uploaded Image
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyMeet & Greet RSS feed for: Meet & Greet
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

sailing
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate