sailing   wooden boats

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 23rd 2024 - 17:49

Thread #383

oldarkie has no photo

by: oldarkie
June 15th, 2012
a fantasy sailor on the blue water
In the 1919 my father Edward glen smith shipped out to asia on the barque the MOSHULU    I am sure that several of you know that the ship is tied up At pennīs landing in Philly and is being used as a restarraunt  I have several photos of the ship taken in 1920 in San Fransciso but only one of my father on board.  My brother and I have kept track of the ship over many years and we have visited ther MOSHULU several times.    My brother Glen has built a 3īfoot model and I am in the process of doing the same but going with a 4 foot.   I have villers and colton books but as the time for rigging has arrived I cannot make heads or tails of the words used to describe the various fitting mounted to the fore,main,and mizzen, can anyone out there give me a direction onwhere to locate this information????    whjat in the heck is colton refering to on the mast as the TRUCK    HELP THIS OPLD GUY PLEASE  

Discussion:
Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
June 17th, 2012
a fantasy sailor on the blue water
The "truck" is basically something (could be wood or metal) of a fitting right at the top of a mast. Usually used to secure blocks to witch things like flag or signal halyards would be rove. It depends a bit on the context as to what specifically it would be on the model rig in question. I tried to find a good photo for you but havenīt yet I think I have one somewhere taken atop the Robertson II so let me see... The closest I found easily is this
http://www.bosunsmate.org/images/gallery/import-3e868dbf509f4.jpg

Showing the doubling at between fore and for-topmast where you can see the bands around the top of the mast (there is only one mast here itīs just on the image twice because there are two photos stitched together)

Would LOVE to see some of those photos if youīre able to share - especially after reading Last Great Grain Race itīs hard not to hold Moshulu in high regard when it comes to dreaming of being out to sea again for us armchair sailors.
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyMeet & Greet RSS feed for: Meet & Greet
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

tall ships
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate