wooden boats   tall ships

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 24th 2024 - 17:27

Thread #340

jromeril has no photo

by: jromeril
January 19th, 2009
Bracelet
It has been 8 years since I had the opportunity to have been on the Pacific Swift, and while I was on the ship we made these rope bracelets, and until recently
I still had mine, but after all these years it finally broke. So I was wondering if you knew how I could find instructions on how to make one?

Discussion:
Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
January 19th, 2009
Bracelet
I probably can get you the instructions - but it will depend on which kind of bracelet it was that they made. We would frequently do about 4 or 5 different forms.

The most typical, if someone else made it right on you would be a Turks Head - which is also the most difficult to learn from a set of instructions unfortunately.

You donīt by an chance have a photo of it do you?

--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker
jromeril has no photo

by: jromeril
January 23rd, 2009
Bracelet
I donīt have a picture sadly. But I do believe it is a Turks head. If I could get the instructions, it would be much appreciated.
Portrait for frayedknotarts

by: frayedknotarts
January 28th, 2009
Bracelet
Hereīs a tutorial on making a Chesapeake Lifesaver (Topmanīs Bracelet) which you might want to try out.

More tutorials HERE.

Also try Dan Callahanīs excellent sites for a [url=http://knotical-arts.com/nantucket1.html] NANTUCKET style bracelet[/url].  
Uploaded Image
Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
February 9th, 2009
Bracelet
I tried to find some good instructions for a Turks head that were freely available but came up dry. There are many out there - but nothing that is very good.

Best I can suggest is to grab a copy of īThe Marlinspike Sailorī (the book I initially learned from. It is an excellent reference for a bunch of things nautical - and has the best set of instructions for the Turkīs Head I have found. Ashleyīs Book of Knots also has many varieties - but that tome is not for the feint of heart (and will set you back almost $100) :)

Uploaded Image
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyQuestions RSS feed for: Questions
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

tall ships
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate