sailing   salts

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 15th 2024 - 21:03

Thread #1

Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
August 15th, 2003
Welcome!
I have started receiving many emails from past trainees and Crew, so I thought it was time to add a forum where everyone can share their experiences and re-connect with each other. :D

--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker

Discussion:
dinah has no photo

by: dinah
September 19th, 2003
Re: Welcome!
HI, this is Dinah. And Scott, you are very right in saying that what you are doing is creating an environment for people to be able to re-live the emotions brought on by the SALTS trips. I meant itin that way when i said you were doing an amazing job...youwere doing an amazing job, creating this place for people to re-experience the magic and love of what we felt aboard the ships.
I apologize if what i said before about doing an amazing job...was unclear.
After two years of summer trips, i cant imagine not sailing with SALTS every year. I am positive that i wont be able to forever, and that some summers it wont be a possibilty at all...but i am looking forward to next summer with baited breath, to see weather i got accepted as assistant cook or bosunīs mate for either trips 1 or 5. I dont yet have my full intermediateīs ...but i have a few orals and i was very close to the re-test mark on the exam, last summer. Also i know of several people who have been bosunīs mates without hteir intermediates. so...fingerīs crossed!
Thank you for the advice onthe photos...iīll try to get the people at london drugs to put my pictures on a cd for me...so i can get them on my computer and send them to you.
Anyways, once again thank you for this amazing site...and i hope to talk to you soon.
xo Dinah

Uploaded Image
Portrait for sbaker

September 19th, 2003
No need to apologize! thanks for what you said...

As for Volunteer crew... well, I started as a Bosunīs mate without my intermediates - I think it more has to do with the person hereīs my story...

I started out as the only person off my first 5 day school trip to pass Juniors (of course, that was because I was the only person that tried) On my second 5 day school trip 1 year later I tried to pass intermediates but failed the exam  with a 79% (I had everything else done though) I was completely disheartened, I canīt remember who told me this but whomever I whined to about failing with 79% said that I only made 3 mistakes - but 3 mistakes as a skipper could sink a ship! that advice stuck with me...

But they also suggested that I sign up as volunteer crew the next summer (I was amazed that they had such a thing at the time) so I did, and took my first ever 10 day trip as a bosunīs mate (I actually never sailed on a 10 day as a trainee) Things got a bit busy once I was crew and I only half-heatedly worked on studying for Intermediates - I ended up failing 3 more times before I finally passed it, but by the time I passed my Intermediates I already had everything but my seniors exam & meteorology done and I polished that off a couple of trips later the same summer.

If Martin was correct I was the youngest person (at the time) to get my seniors (I wonder if that is still the case)

Anyway (blah blah blah - I ramble) my point was I sailed on 4 trips as a Bosunīs mate prior to having my intermediates (I was even teaching Intermediate knots and terms before I had it) - so who knows...
--
Fair Winds

Scott W. Baker
dinah has no photo

September 22nd, 2003
Hi, thanks for all the insight on your past sailing experience, how you got involved with SALTS, and best yet, the way you were bosunīs mate without your intermidiateīs!
I agree with you, I think it totally depends on what kind of person you are, not so much...how much youīve accomplished test-wise. But sometimes it does help if...well if youīve had experience aboard SALTS before, or if you have a sailing background. Either way, i have my fingers crossed...
Anyways thanks again for the stories, the hope and everything.

-Dinah

p.s I īm still trying to get my pictures to you!

p.p.s My sister is 26 and sailed on the Robbie 2 when she was 16...would there be a chance you sailed with her? It IS a small world after all....
Portrait for sbaker

September 22nd, 2003
Well, fingers crossed on this end Dinah, for your V.crew asperations!

Regarding if I may have sailed with your sister - It certainly is a posibility, that would make it 1993 right?

I was on Swift Trips I and II in ī93 as a watch leader - so perhaps we wernīt on the same boat.

What is her name? I usually remember everyone that I have sailed with.
--
Fair Winds

Scott W. Baker
dinah has no photo

September 22nd, 2003
Her name is Alexa Steele, and i believe she did sail during the summer of 1993. I am not positive though.
She is actually my half-sister, and she currently lives in Connecticut, but when she was sixteen, she sailed with SALTS, and it was from her that i got the inspiration to do it myself. She spoke so highly of her time aboard the Robbie, and after 6 years, she still wore a turkīs head someone had made for her on the trip.

I am so glad she told me about SALTS, though even if she hadnīt i dont doubt that i would have found out about it and looked into it just the same!

Anyways, thank you for the crossed fingers on your part! Iīll keep you posted on my status for next year!

-Dinah
Portrait for sbaker

September 23rd, 2003
Her name dosenīt ring a bell...

We were probably on different ships or different trips - or, my memory might be fading (entirely possible) Youīll have to suggest she sign up here and then weīll know...

I think I had my Turks anklet on for about 6 years too ;) But I lost track of how many of those I made (I used to be the ornamental knot "guy" on most trips) I got it down to 17 minutes / turks head at my peek (I remember working through lines of people :D)
--
Fair Winds

Scott W. Baker
babee_doll4 has no photo

by: babee_doll4
October 31st, 2003
Hi

My name Is Carrie and I havenīt been on a SALTS trip yet... Im going with my school group From May 10-15th 2003. Ill be sailing on the Pacfic Swift. Im so excited :)Itīs going to be so much fun im sure. My friend Jen went sailing during the summer with SALTS and she said its a blast. All I can say is go team!

- Care
Portrait for sailorgurl

by: sailorgurl
November 2nd, 2003
CARRIE! omg u going on salts! ahhh ur so lucky dude! btw this is kelsey lough hehe omg ur gonna love it dude! ive gone three times and had a blast! are u on my sisters trip?
Portrait for sailorgurl

by: sailorgurl
November 2nd, 2003
aw ive wanted to get a turks head so bad forever...but can you believe being on a ship for a total of 25 days i never once got the chance to do one?!? you have no idea of the dissapointment i felt when i found out my sister came home from her first salts trip with not one but TWO turks heads! i was so mad! haha so my vow is to next trip is to get one
zelkin centuron has no photo

by: zelkin centuron
September 23rd, 2004
This is Mike
I went on the sailing trip1 for the summer of 2004

looks like noone touches the forums now........
but yea
it was great stuff
im going next year too
Portrait for jamesb

by: jamesb
October 24th, 2006
Welcome!
Well hello after a long hiatus!!  Itīs James Berry and I sailed on many trips in the 90īs with you Scott (a bunch as a trainee & then two as volunteer crew).  I was so excited to have found your site and am going home tonight to dig up all my old photos and send them over.  I will also dig through my old address lists of all the others I sailed with and get them to log in & contribute to this site.  From the pictures to the recordings of the mug up songs (I can still hear my brutal singing voice!!) allot of amazing memories came flooding back.  Glad to have found you all again.

Cheers,
James (Slacker) Berry
Uploaded Image
Portrait for sbaker

October 24th, 2006
Welcome!
Fantastic! always wonderful to reconnect with an old shipmate! where are you at now? whats up? can hardly wait to see the photos!!!!!
--
Fair Winds

Scott W. Baker
monkeymikey has no photo

by: monkeymikey
November 11th, 2006
Hey, I just stumbled accross this site, My name is Mike deMeulles, I was on the Robertson II or "Robbie" as everyone called it back in ī89 or ī90 or something, I did 2 summer 10 day trips to Desolation, I canīt quite remember the years though. I think I reconize some of the crew in the old pictures. I sure wish I could go back in time and do it again! I have my own sailboat now and SALTS is what started that all with me.
                                                  Mike
Portrait for sbaker

November 12th, 2006
Hi Mike
Hi Mike, thanks for joining in :) Sounds like it was possible that we were either out at the same time - or very close to it - I sailed with SALTS from ī87 until ī94 and predominantly on the Robby...

Do you remember any other names of people from your trip - I bet we could figure out which trip it was exactly...
--
Fair Winds

Scott W. Baker
monkeymikey has no photo

November 12th, 2006
Welcome!
Hey Scott, I guess you were on the trips that I was on. The second trip that I was on a friend of mine Chris Wylie was on as well but I havnīt talked to him for a few years. I seem to remember a crew member named Dorothy, is that right? It seems so long ago. Thatīs cool that you tie Turks Heads, I taught myself a while ago how too and I have one on my wrist right now. Iīm going too see if I can find any old pictures of those trips.
                                                        Mike
Portrait for sbaker

November 12th, 2006
Welcome!
Youīre remembering "Dotty" ;) her and her brother Andrew were a fixture at SALTS during the 80īs and 90īs - she probably read a story at Mug-up from "Cradle of the Deep" right?

A photo Iīm sure she would hate ;)

The name Chris Wylie doesnīt ring a bell... Pictures would help - the galleries here are all sorted by trip so see if you can find any photos of people you know from the trips there and perhaps we can narrow down exactly which trip it was.

--
Fair Winds

Scott W. Baker
monkeymikey has no photo

November 12th, 2006
Welcome!
I totally recognize her from the picture! I remember her brother Andrew too. I just spent an hour looking for pictures, but I canīt find them. I know I have one of myself sliding down the deck on my belly in rain gear in the pouring rain! I have to go out of town for work for a few weeks, when I get back Iīll look again. By
                              Mike

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlySummer Trips RSS feed for: Summer Trips
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

salts
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate
web design, virtual tours and maintenance donated: PawPrint.net