wooden boats   wooden boats

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 19th 2024 - 10:29

Thread #254

Portrait for kpbosun

by: kpbosun
August 2nd, 2006
A neat way to impress the BOSUN in your group
I have been known as the Bosun for many years even though I never sailed in an unlicensed capacity. It was because of my big interest in marlinspike work and small boats. Along the way I learned to tie a really good looking and apparently complex knot behind my back. This is a great trick to have in your knot skills bag. It can be used to impress, or becalm others in a group, depending on their skills and egos.
Here is the picture of the finished knot. I guess that it would be called a sheepshank with a modified square knot layed up in the middle.
Use a piece of line that is flexible but not limp when you tie it. Use line of less than half inch diameter unless you are laying it up on a table top as a demonstration.
Uploaded Image

Discussion:
Portrait for kpbosun

August 2nd, 2006
Simple things often give the best results.

Make a simple loop as shown with the standing part on top.
Uploaded Image
Portrait for kpbosun

August 2nd, 2006
Repeat with another similar loop placed UNDER the first.
Uploaded Image
Portrait for kpbosun

August 2nd, 2006
Repeat the looping process until there are four of them in the stack. Note that each is placed under the one before it.
It is like laying up a four loop clove hitch.
Uploaded Image
Portrait for kpbosun

August 2nd, 2006
This is the hard part to do behind your back and will take a little practice.
Reach through the outer loops from both sides and grab the THIRD strand. This is why it is hard to do with a line that is too limp.  -
Uploaded Image
Portrait for kpbosun

August 2nd, 2006
Carefully draw the strands back through the outer loops while also holding the standing parts. This will cause the square knot to form and draw up the cinch loops on the long ears of the main knot.

If you have been careful, you can now pull the finished knot from behind your back to the applause and envy of everyone in the room. All the knot lovers anyway.

Have fun.
Uploaded Image
Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
August 2nd, 2006
Cool Knots - Thanks for the Input kpbosun!
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker
Portrait for frayedknotarts

by: frayedknotarts
August 28th, 2008
KPBosun: would you drop me a line via email?  Your contacts page shows no email for me. Use my contacts page.
Uploaded Image

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlySuggestions RSS feed for: Suggestions
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

sailing
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate