wooden boats   wooden boats

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 18th 2024 - 18:42

Thread #242

sukotto has no photo

by: sukotto
June 5th, 2006
The Current Plan
There is yet more house and home progress being made as we look into the constructio of our patio coverings. Kellei swandangled several 4"x12" beams (20´ long) and we have plans to use them!

The illustration shows the intended construction for the joints - the trick here is going to be getting the metal "T" plates made up. The local building center thinks they have aline on it for us though.

The images below show the intended completed structure.
Uploaded Image

Discussion:
sukotto has no photo

June 5th, 2006
Comments about The Current Plan
Instead of having T-connecters made for you.  You might want to use the pre-made ones from Sampson Strong Ties. http://www.strongtie.com/

They allow you to build just about anything using only straight cuts. They have a large selection of ties for just about any purpose.

Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
June 9th, 2006
The Current Plan
Once again... the man who can find anything strikes!

Thanks Iīll check it out!
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker
Portrait for sbaker

June 15th, 2006
The Current Plan
Just a followup - I did have a look at what they offer - and itīs basically the same as the hardware store - 2" wide T brackets are the largest.

Iīve thus placed an order for some custom fabricated 4" wide plate steel once through my local building supply - need the heavy look (and probably the strength) for what we want to do.
--
Fair Winds

Scott W. Baker
sukotto has no photo

June 20th, 2006
My local Home Depot sells "T" strong ties in a 12x8 size. I think theyīre model 128T on this page (donīt remember the price... sorry)
http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/T-L.html

How big do you need them?  On the other hand.  I canīt see having them custom made costing you *that* much and it may be worth it to start a good relationship with your local smith

sukotto has no photo

June 20th, 2006
errr 4inches... right there in front of my face.
Portrait for sbaker

June 26th, 2006
The Current Plan
Not that this will be of any use for the others reading the forum - but "Youīll understand when you get here" ;)

The 4" is the "B" dimension on the diagram from strongtie... I did quite a bit of research and for what I want (structural and asthetic) I need the custom verion (they are 1/4" thick plate steel and pre-coated with weatherproofing)

--
Fair Winds

Scott W. Baker

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyStories RSS feed for: Stories
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

wooden boats
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate
web design, virtual tours and maintenance donated: PawPrint.net