wooden boats   tall ships

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 18th 2024 - 01:50

Thread #236

sukotto has no photo

by: sukotto
May 12th, 2006
Is an RFC Available
The true geeks amungsts us will know what an RFC is - they are, for the lack of a better explination, the building blocks of the internet. Technology memos that define its technology. I grew up with them on-line, and now I have a chance to write one.

It may sound odd - but it´s a pretty interesting experience. The gist of it is a formal standard for the transfer of availability and booking data between the on-line booking systems used by accommodations providers. If my proposal (or Internet Draft) is accepted it may become a RFC (Request For Comments) which basically becomes a new Internet Standard.

The whole motivation behind this is that quite a few of my web design customers are accommodations providers and many of them are starting to battle between having multiple different calendars on many different web sites - all of which require manual update. There is no communication and it´s simple too much work for them to update them all.

Enter my proposal the "Availability Data Exchange Protocol" ADEP. An attempt to standardize on the transfer of booking data in a secure, standard form.

It´s quite an undertaking and I´m only about 1/2 way through the first draft - but it´s a fascinating experience. I;ll get more into the details of it tomorrow with a bit of background on the RFC process and how it all fits together.
Uploaded Image

Discussion:
sukotto has no photo

by: sukotto
May 12th, 2006
Comments about Is an RFC Available
Why not use XML for that?  (Or SGML if you need extra power)
Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
May 14th, 2006
Is an RFC Available
Actually - thatīs exactly what I am using. XML - Iīve created the DTD - but itīs also the protocol for transferring the XML that will be key to preventing double bookings.

There are also mechanisms for auto-discovery, servers joining/leaving the community and Iīm working on a way to transfer which server is the master for a particular object - but that might come in a phase two.
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyStories RSS feed for: Stories
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

salts
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate
web design, virtual tours and maintenance donated: PawPrint.net