wooden boats   sailing

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 19th 2024 - 16:47

Thread #146

robbie has no photo

by: robbie
March 2nd, 2005
what do I need to volunteer in the summer
Hi
Iīm going on a trip this summer for the first time and I would really like to get more information on how I can get to volunteer on later trips.

Q1: how many trips would I have to do before I can volunteer
Q2: what do I have to do to volunteer
Q3: do I have to pay for my trip when I volunteer
Q4: how old do I have to be?

sorry for the long list,any answer would be greatly appreciated
sincerely Robert Mackenzie

Discussion:
Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
March 3rd, 2005
Re: what do I need to volunteer in the summer
Iīll do my best to answer this - but first and foremost - talk to the crew while youīre out on your trip and youīll get the latest info.

Q1: Itīs not really a matter of how many - more showing the initiative and your skill level - for example I never went on any summer trips before I went as volunteer crew - just 1 5day school trip.

Q2: Get forms from the SALTS office and get them handed in ASAP after they come out (usually in September for the following year)

Q3: no

Q4: 16 I think - but this may have changed - again ask the office and theyīll let you know the details.

In general you should probably contact the office - as things may have changed since I was doing this (itīs been a while now :) )
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker
robbie has no photo

March 4th, 2005
thanks
robbie has no photo

March 12th, 2005
Re: what positions are there available?
sorry to bother you again but I was also wwondering what postions there were avaible.

thank you
Portrait for sbaker

March 13th, 2005
Re: what positions are there available?
No worries at all!

Back when I did it there were 4 vol. crew positions:

Bosuns Mate (my fav!)
2 Watch Leaders
Assistant Cook

The duties and skills for each are slightly different - again if you ask at the office you can get all the details.

--
Fair Winds

Scott W. Baker
burnsy has no photo

by: burnsy
March 24th, 2005
I recall on one trip that our Bosuns Mate was 14. She had a lot experience with boating and sailing though.
--
Whiskey is what makes a man shoot at his landlord...and what makes him miss.
Portrait for cherrie_gugu

by: cherrie_gugu
October 27th, 2005
hi Dear:
  i was one of the trainee that on the Grace #2 trip in this summer. i love the trip soo much that cause me really miss it ,I canīt really pull my mind off it,and i would love to be a volunteer on the next trip in 2006.
  my Q: do i have to go to Victoria to get the form for sign up for the Volunteer (caz im in Vancouver..=_=)and it is too late for me to sign up now?

Thank you soooooo much for ur time to look at my Q, i will happy to see your reply soon^_^

(PS: sorry for the bad gramma.. English is not my second language.... T_T)
--
mmm..do what i love, and love what i do, this is the passion of my life, what about u ? ^_^
Portrait for sbaker

October 27th, 2005
I believe they will mail you a form - but they may even be able to email one - just give the office a call and Iīm sure theyīll arrange something without you needing to actually go there.

We had a volunteer crewmember from Hungary once - so Iīm sure Vancouver wonīt be a problem ;)
--
Fair Winds

Scott W. Baker
Portrait for cherrie_gugu

by: cherrie_gugu
October 28th, 2005
thank you for your informations,it did help^^
--
mmm..do what i love, and love what i do, this is the passion of my life, what about u ? ^_^

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyQuestions RSS feed for: Questions
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

wooden boats
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate