tall ships   tall ships

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 25th 2024 - 03:58

Thread #152

Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
March 24th, 2005
Training up for a 60 Ton Master Ticket (Canada)
I suppose SALTS infected me, to some extent, with a drive to expand my maritime skill set - between sail training there and my more recent training with the Coast Guard Auxiliary that drive has been more firmly seated.

For some background: I got my SALTS juniors on my first 5 day school trip (I was one of only 2 people on board that did so - because everyone else was basically just enjoying themselves rather then taking in the knowledge that was offered) I went on to get my intermediates over the next 5 day school trip and my first 10 day trip as volunteer crew. Seniors took a bit longer - but I had that too before long (at the time I believe I was the youngest person every to get it). More recently I have completed the Coast Guard RHIOT course in Bamfield and am certified as a Coxswain within the auxiliary. So what was next... well the Transport Canada 60 ton Limited Masters ticket seemed the right way to go, strangely enough talking to Martyn Clark one day he suggested I look into it as Transport Canada was going to do away with it. He also noted that should I get the 60 ton - he could further examine me for a "Sailing Ship endorsement" which would put me into the place to actually skipper ships like the SALTS vessels - Ok, now that was īdream come trueī material if ever I heard it.

I have now, obviously from the title of this bit, embarked on the path to a 60 ton ticket - and itīs proving to be both fun and fascinating. There is a minimum sea time requirement of 60 days - I already had 130 days with SALTS under my belt so I just needed to get the Transport Canada forms signed off and that was done. This is strangely the difficult part for many, as they have frequently lost contact with master under which the sea time was earned. Thankfully, in my case, I just filled out the forms (using my SALTS log book for reference) and send in the paperwork to SALTS. The Next requirement was a Commercial Radio License, I already hold both a Maritime Voluntary and a HAM radio license - so this was again fairly straightforward but it did consist of learning a lot about the new GMDSS (Global Marine Distress and Safety System) including INMARSAT, NAVTEX, and EPIRB systems, of which I had limited knowledge (through the Coast Guard) The ROC-MC (Restricted Operators Certificate - Marine Commercial) radio course is required and is somewhat expensive so this turned into a bit of a hurdle (you canīt self study this one as it includes a sizeable practical portion) but with luck Maritime Education Associates was holding this and several other courses I required right in my home town of Sechelt. So Kellei (thatīs another story - suffice to say - the love of my life) and I coughed up the $1000 each and signed up for both the ROC-MC and MED A1/A2.

The MED (Marine Emergency Duties) courses basically deal with how to handle all the things you hope you never need to handle - collision, flooding, fire, capsize, etc  there is a pool session where you get to inflate a life raft and learn how to flip it, play with SOLAS life jackets, and even fight fires with portable extinguishers. That bit they say on BC Ferries about being "Transport Canada Certified to deal with Emergency Situations" - is this course.

The MED A1/A2 courses are so informative that I would be so bold as to suggest every mariner should have them (professional ones are all required to) but itīs only $400 and could easily save you life.

Back to the 60 ton - the other two requirements I couldnīt challenge were the Transport Canada medical and a Marine Advanced First Aid certificate. This also was made straightforward by the Coast Guard - We do a first aid course every year or every 2 years at a minimum and I needed only to do a small $80 upgrade to the standard to get the "Marine Advanced" endorsement. The Medical I received before RHIOT school almost work as the Transport - but they got picky and said that only Coast Guard Employees could use that one - so I needed to fork out another $100 for a less intensive Transport Canada one (...can anyone say government money grab...)

So here I am - with pretty much all my ducks in a row and looking to start the examination process. I have the ROC-MC, MED A1/A2, the Medical, the Sea Time, the First Aid and whatīs left are two written exams Chart-work - and Rules of the Road followed by an oral exam with the examiner.

Looking at the knowledge required (and this is the fun part) The two exams are basically EXACTLY what the SALTS Seniors exam requires - so itīs all a review (granted my Seniors exam was almost a decade ago - so itīs a LOT of review, but review none the less) The orals are a bit of a concern as I have no idea what to expect - but I have met several people in the community that have their 60 ton and have been happy to give me some tips.

Why am I writing this - well, mainly because the experience thus far has been a very positive one and I wanted to share it - but also because when I set out on this path, it was all a bit of a mystery - so for anyone hoping to do the same this may help in some small way.

Happy Training - and Iīll follow-up this with notes about the exams.
Uploaded Image
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker

Discussion:
Portrait for kpbosun

by: kpbosun
April 2nd, 2005
Re: Training up for a 60 Ton Master Ticket (Canada)
Congratulations on your progress. Getting a license is a great adventure, and gives a huge feeling of accomplishment. Even after forty years I remember the thrill of getting that first "ticket" with īmynameī on it. Keep up the good work.
WAC

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyMeet & Greet RSS feed for: Meet & Greet
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

wooden boats
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate
web design, virtual tours and maintenance donated: PawPrint.net