salts   wooden boats

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 20th 2024 - 01:05

Thread #89

Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
February 6th, 2004
My First Rough Weather RHI Trip...
With Gale warnings issued and a weather front on the move, what better day for some morning rough weather training in the Coast Guard Auxiliary RHI (Rigid Hull Inflatable)...

I recently joined my local unit of the Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary - Unit 12, Halfmoon Bay BC ( http://www.ccga12.org ) both to continue training and get some sea time as well as just wanting to help out. In fact, I had wanted to join ever since I first started sailing with SALTS... however, I digress... This morning was my first time learning to control the RHI in rough weather. To some a 3-7ī sea may not seem all that rough - but when you are trying to see if you can traverse it at 30Knots it is ;)

We set out from Halfmoon Bay BC at about 0830h in light rain Tim (the Coxn. I crew with) at the con. After checking in with Comox Coast Guard Radio we went straight into it - the seas were running about 3-4ī at this point but building.

Watching Tim control the vessel by adjusting throttle up and down as we jumped over each wave crest and came slamming down into the troughs I didnīt really expect I would even be able to do it at all - but after about 10 mins we stopped and Tim handed the kill-switch safety line to me... My turn...

Of course I was not perfect, but it was easier then I thought - and I did manage - you get a feel for it as you jump each crest and pull back on the throttle while airborne only to thrust forward again the instant you land.

We tried many different approaches to the seas, bow-to, beam, stern-to just to get a feel for all the possibilities... the most exciting part for me turned out not to be a jump at all - but just following up a 7ī rouge wave as we traveled stern-to the sea, just coming up behind a wall of water taller then you, and listening to the engines straining to try and climb it.

As I write this Iīm monitoring radio transmissions of 2 other CCGA units out on the Straight of Georgia tonight looking for a disabled sailing vessel - wondering what it would be like to try that same thing in the dark...

For me, however, it was a wonderful experience, and I learned some valuable lessons, as always the most important being that I need to learn much more...

PS: the photo isnīt us (the seas were much more choppy - but it gives something of the idea)
Uploaded Image
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker

Discussion:
Portrait for sbaker

August 26th, 2004
Coast Guard Auxiliary Followup...
It seems as though itīs about time for a follow-up to my Coast Guard Auxiliary experiences relayed above...

Since Joining Unit 12 (www.ccga12.org) I have now been paged out for 6 incidents with a variety of duties being called for - everything from medical transports and vessels taking on water to searches.

I canīt even begin to explain the fascinating and exciting experiences volunteering for the CCGA has offered me - but I can certainly encourage anyone that thinks they might be interested to find out more info.

Because I joined the CCGA with a fair bit of past experience (mainly my 7 years with SALTS) it looks as though I will be fortunate enough to attend the Canadian Coast Guard RHIOT (Rigid Hull Inflatable Operator Training) School in Bamfield at some point this winter - to be taught handling skills for the Zodiac 733īs by the pros.

There is actually a funny little twist of fate here - While sailing on the Swift back in the ī90īs we met up with a Coast Guard crew several times in Desolation Sound - I even got the chance to drive their zodiac once - the twist is that the person that Iīm dealing with now with regards to RHIOT School is one of the members of that very CCG crew - and is actually pictured here on this site (Iīll leave it to you to find the photo :) )

If anyone is interested in learning more about the CCGA and the life saving services it provides to Mariners in Canadian Waters - please donīt hesitate to contact me or visit http://www.ccga12.org - who knows, perhaps Iīll even get to work with you at some point
--
Fair Winds

Scott W. Baker
Portrait for sbaker

September 16th, 2004
This Aught to be a RHIOT
One more follow-up...

Well the RHIOT course has come even sooner then expected - and I leave for Bamfield on Tuesday Sept 21st for 1 week of intense training - Iīll be sure to write a bit of a follow-up when I get back...

wish me luck!
--
Fair Winds

Scott W. Baker
Portrait for sbaker

October 6th, 2004
Re: The aught to be a RHIOT
Well - it certainly was a RHIOT (excuse all the puns) I have returned from my adventures in Bamfield attending the Canadian Coast Guard RHIOT school (Rigid Hull Inflatable Operator Training)

What an amazing experience - but rather then go into it in detail here Iīll just provide a link over to the complete story posted on the CCGA Unit 12 Web Site:
http://www.ccga12.org/rhiot/

for those that are interested :)
--
Fair Winds

Scott W. Baker

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyStories RSS feed for: Stories
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

tall ships
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate