salts   wooden boats

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 18th 2024 - 18:43

Thread #443

mbeckerle has no photo

by: mbeckerle
April 6th, 2018
Error on bosuns mate website about AIS format - how to get corrected?
This site has a useful page on Marine AIS data format.

In using this page with AIS work, I've found what I think is a bug on the page which I'd like to contribute the fix to.

http://www.bosunsmate.org/ais/#bitvector

is the page section with the problem.

The problem is that the string given in the example: 14eG;o@034o8sd<L9i:a;WF>062D

Is supposed to correspond to the binary data given below it, only part of which I've shown here:

000001 000100 101101 010111 011100 001010 .....

The first 4 characters correspond, but 5th onward aren't right. E.g., the string's 5th character is ";", and the bit pattern for ";" given on this page:

http://catb.org/gpsd/AIVDM.html#_aivdm_aivdo_payload_armoring

Is supposed to be 001011, but in the example data above it is 011100, which should correspond to the letter "L".

The whole correction is just to change the string to this: 14eGL:@000o8oQ'LMjOchmG@08HK

That string matches the bits.

Discussion:
Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
April 7th, 2018
Error on bosuns mate website about AIS format - how to get corrected?
Thanks for noting this!

I haven't looked at that in a while but let me check into it!  I'll get it updated.
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyQuestions RSS feed for: Questions
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

wooden boats
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate
web design, virtual tours and maintenance donated: PawPrint.net