tall ships   wooden boats

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 18th 2024 - 17:01

Thread #319

cwsinterest has no photo

by: cwsinterest
November 10th, 2007
How many out-of-town SALTSers spend time in Victoria?
For the week-long school-oriented SALTS trips, it seems worthwhile to spend the week-ends on either/both end(s) touring the Victoria area (I *know* there are tons of possible options:  Coast Guard, UVic, Navy, the Legislature, plus lots of possibly more fun/acceptable venues for teens).  Presumably itīd have to be an option, since *some people* of a 20 person strong trip from, say, Calgary, might not have the time for weekends.  So some would go home; some would tour the area.

Is this ever done?  Is it done much?  ~5% of groups? 50%? 95%? If it is done, is the reaction positive?  Is there any downside for participants wanting to see the area (other than extra costs, etc.)?  Any related comments?  TIA for any feedback at all. - B.

Discussion:
Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
November 10th, 2007
While I canīt answer for others or general group stats - I know I used to spend extra time for each trip. Especially before-hand because you needed to at least get there the night before to make the start of the trip (at least it used to be that way anyway)

Why do you ask?
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker
Portrait for sbaker

November 10th, 2007
Well, for me it was just because I have loads of friends in Vic and it was a chance to visit (several days to a week in advance at times) but never anything organized by the group - so Iīm not sure how much my experience fits in with your question.

There certainly are a lot of fun things to do in the area - so my opinion would be that it would be a great idea to spend some extra time - assuming the cost fit in with the groupīs budget.

re the speed of my responce: web designer working from home = usually sitting in front of the computer ;)
--
Fair Winds

Scott W. Baker
cwsinterest has no photo

November 10th, 2007
Thanks...  Yeah, I know about the prep time and I gather many kids arrive Sunday late afternoon.  But thatīs why I mentioned "touring" and gave a few brief examples of possible venues.  So I still donīt know if your "extra time" was only for īto make the start of the tripī (necessary time to make the trip isnīt my version of extra), or you actually spent time doing Victoria-area things of interest.  If you did, were there any standout items you think all kids should see?  And any that should be avoided (Butchart Gardens, as nice as it is, seems not the coolest place for 13-14 year olds)?

I ask because Iīve been talking to parents about doing just this over the next several years and am trying to get a handle on whether itīs been done by others... And if so; what were īhitsī, what were īmissesī, was it well received (remembering that only kids wanting to do this would be doing it), were there any issues or concerns, etc.  I know Victoria pretty well, but I want to know from the perspective (positive and negative, as applicable) of people doing this precise thing (i.e. a SALTS - or competitor - trip / school kids as participants / one weekend or two / touring venues as I suggested or indeed others that I havenīt raised).  Thanks for your blindingly quick response, BTW.  :-)
cwsinterest has no photo

November 10th, 2007
Yeah, I think lots of people likely have at least some Vic-connections, and I see utilizing them as well (perhaps) to the benefit of all.  As just a small example, I have the contacts that I hope submarine and Oriole tours will happen, and Iīd have no problem if say a dozen students were joined by a few local friends if there was interest.  But this is all preliminary, right now.

Ahhh... so are you the WebMaster here, Scott?  Iīm actually glad I got you, because I want to use at least one of your superb shots (attached, if it works) to sell this idea of touring Victoria.  And, FWIW, Iīm just a Dad trying to help other kids and parents so thereīs no commercial issues here at all... and there never will be.  Cheers, Brett.
Uploaded Image
Portrait for sbaker

November 10th, 2007
Feel free to use the photo :)

Sounds like a great time to be had if you can organize it!
--
Fair Winds

Scott W. Baker

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyQuestions RSS feed for: Questions
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

tall ships
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate