wooden boats   salts

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 18th 2024 - 19:05

Thread #263

Portrait for gage

by: gage
August 15th, 2006
Sailing Books
Does anyone know of a better book to buy that tells you about decorative knots and designs used for ships better. The Book I know of is called: The Marlinspike Sailor by Hervey Garrett Smith. I was wondering if anyone knew of a better book than this.

Discussion:
Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
August 15th, 2006
Sailing Books
Marlinspike is probably one of the best for technique. If youīre looking for the "Bible" of knots then you want the Ashley Book of Knots which contains tens of thousands of knots in diagrams with history and uses for most.

Marlinspike is basicaly the best to learn the art of fancy ropework and then Ashley helps you perfect it. Of course - the best is to work with someone - it can be difficult to learn from books but Marlinspike is certainly a mainstay if your forced to go that route.

If you want to expand into rigging then also look at the Young Sea Officerīs Sheet Anchor a book that has been reprinted for 2 centuries now and basically descripes how to rig a full rigged ship from scratch - certainly quite an advanced topic.

Hope that helps...
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker
Portrait for gage

by: gage
August 16th, 2006
Sailing Books
Yeah, that does help, Thank-you. Do you by any chance know how much the Ashley Book of Knots costs?
Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
August 26th, 2006
Sailing Books
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you - In short the answer is, it depends... Ashley comes in both at Hard Cover and Soft Cover edition. Iīve heard that the Hard Cover is now somewhat of a collectors edition...

I believe when I bought min about 18 years ago (yikes has it been that long!) it was around $50 (CDN)

Todayīs price at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385040253/sr=1-4/qid=1156603259/ref=sr_1_4/002-0041182-2791202?ie=UTF8&s=books

-- looks like a pretty good deal along with Marlinspike.
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyQuestions RSS feed for: Questions
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

salts
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate
web design, virtual tours and maintenance donated: PawPrint.net