sailing   wooden boats

Enter what you want to search for, to search for an "exact phrase" by enclosing it in quotes. You may search for a combination of words and phrases

en

Learn more about our "How to Tie Knots" DVD/CD
April 23rd 2024 - 10:52

Thread #233

Portrait for kpbosun

by: kpbosun
May 10th, 2006
Radio Shack, The
After the new radio and antennas there was a bit of rigging to complete to get the whole system up and running the way I want it. After a few hours work today - Iīm met most of my goals...

Iīm, pretty busy with work at the moment - so I have been fitting this in when I need a break, time to think, etc...

The plan was to get the VHF, GPS, and Nobeltec on the PC all talking to that when a DSC comes in Iīll get a plot on the chart - I got 75% of that working ;)

The GPS is just a little hand help Garmin eTrex Vista, and I never bought the power adaptor for it - but no worries I rigged it using a single filament of wire-wrap wite taped in place (the make the contacts flat to prevent this I believe) anyway with that set-up I can now leave it on all the time using an AC power source (currently a variable lab power supply - but Iīll find a 3V wall wort soon)

I then created a custom cable for the output of the data adaptor (which I did have) and got that into the NEMA input for my new VHF - bingo - Lat/Long on the GPS and a URGENCY DSC came in within 2 hours of that working (vessel aground in Agamemnon Channel)

Next, I was hoping to use the VHFīs NEMA out as a repeater for the NEMA from the GPS - but unfortunately the VHF only transmits NEMA when there is a DSC Distress Alert - not all the time :( so Iīll eventually need to rig a second serial port into my PC to get the DSC alerts. For now I just spliced into the NEMA from the GPS and have that going into Nobeltec - just to give it a signal and prove the concept.

So iīm happy for the moment - and ready to watch what happens as sun continues to bring out the boaters... should be an interesting summer.
Uploaded Image

Discussion:
Portrait for kpbosun

by: kpbosun
April 13th, 2006
Comments about Radio Shack, The
I thought that I was busy the other night shortening my sons radar cables and reconnecting the adapters. I trust that your future LB enjoys helping you with this stuff. I had the impression that you had a pretty busy summer on the books all ready. Best wishes to you both, KPBosun
Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
May 10th, 2006
Radio Shack, The
Thankfully she does ;) as she puts it - she isnīt a geek - but she is learning to become one.

Sorry it takes me so long to respond to these sometimes - I really must add a notification email to the news comments - the forum currently dosenīt issue an email for new comments only for direct forum posts - I need to change that ;)
--
Fair Winds
 - and watch for squals from leeward

Scott W. Baker

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete The Bosunīs Mate Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyStories RSS feed for: Stories
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

sailing
Copyright © 1987-2024 The Bosun's Mate
web design, virtual tours and maintenance donated: PawPrint.net